- Permaculture Teaching Garden
- Learning Landscape
- Sustainable Living and Energy Practices
Mr. J. Pitcher deeded what would become the 2.8-acre Pacific View property to the Encinitas School District in 1883. Edward Hammond and his son, Ted, one of seven children, built the schoolhouse large enough to accommodate eight grades and one teacher on the property on 3rd streed bounded by E and F Streets (“Schoolhouse”). The Schoolhouse was operated in this location until 1927.
As the town grew, and other schools opened up in the area, the Schoolhouse was no longer used. By 1928, the Schoolhouse had been relocated to 4th and H Streets, where is served as a private residence for over half a century.
As the 1980s dawned and real estate prices began to boom, the crumbling Schoolhouse was slated for demolition. After a sustained and passionate effort by the newly-formed Encinitas Historical Society, the Schoolhouse was successfully moved back to its original site. The Schoolhouse remains on this site today where it is a museum and is still the oldest building in Encinitas.
Pacific View Elementary School, a seven-classroom school of mid-century design was constructed in 1953 on the 608 3rd Street parcel. This elementary school served 168 students in grades K-6. It was closed a half a century later in 2003 due to declining enrollment and aging facilities.
Pacific View site was abandoned and in disrepair
In 2014, Save Pacific View, a grassroots group of concerned north coastal residents, was formed to support keeping the historic bluff-side Pacific View School site in the public domain for present and future generations to enjoy.
The City of Encinitas purchased the Pacific View Elementary School site, including the land and 3 classroom buildings from the Encinitas School District in March of 2014 for the purpose of using the property for the public benefit. The original Schoolhouse remained on the site in its historic location and is currently owned and operated by the Encinitas Historical Society.
In February of 2016, the Encinitas City Council voted to grant EACEA, a local grass roots nonprofit organization, a Right-of-Entry. This was the first step in establishing EACEA as the City’s Operator/Leaseholder to restore and rehabilitate the Pacific View site for future use by the community. EACEA’s plans included transforming the former elementary school into a community Academy of Arts.
Since 2016, EACEA has been caring for the grounds, buildings and other facilities at Pacific View.
EACEA has raised over $400,000 in donations for Pacific View Academy of Arts (PVAA) renovations.
Currently, EACEA is finalizing the site permitting for the future PVAA. By the end of 2018, EACEA anticipates executing a long-term lease with the City of Encinitas for site restoration and operations at PVAA.
PVAA will open its doors to artists and the community once the transformation of the buildings and grounds is complete. It will take a year or two to establish the anticipated arts and cultural programming required to fully fund, populate and operate PVAA; a self-sustaining arts and commerce hub that will entertain a steady stream of interested and interesting users and visitors.
Once the lease is executed with the City, EACEA plans to continue the restoration of the grounds and facilities, such as: